72 Updates
  • 6m ago
     (14:45 GMT)

    Hamas says Israeli strike on Gaza City police headquarters ‘new war crime’

    Hamas has condemned an Israeli strike on police headquarters in Gaza City that killed nine people, mostly police officers, and wounded several civilians, calling it “a new war crime”.

    In a statement, the group rejected Israel’s justification that the strike targeted “resistance leaders”, calling the claim “baseless and false allegations used to justify its aggression and cover up its deliberate targeting of civilian police and unarmed civilians”.

    Hamas accused the Israeli government of “deliberately undermining these efforts and dangerously pushing towards reigniting the war of extermination against our people in the Gaza Strip”.

    The group called on mediators and guarantors, “foremost among them the Trump administration”, to take “a clear and firm stance against this dangerous escalation”, compel Israel to abide by the agreement and hold it “fully responsible for the repercussions of these systematic crimes”.

  • 16m ago
     (14:35 GMT)

    Israel has killed at least 4,348 in Lebanon since March 2, Health Ministry says

    Israel has killed at least 4,348 people in Lebanon since launching its latest war on the country on March 2, 2026, according to figures released by Lebanon’s Ministry of Public Health.

    At least 393 women and 257 children are among those killed as a result of six months of Israeli military operations in southern Lebanon. At least 12,307 people were injured during this time.

    The figures also reveal deaths in terms of the nationalities of those killed in the country, including 537 Syrians and 234 Palestinians.

    At least 32 Lebanese soldiers have been killed.

    Israel also damaged at least 17 hospitals; 179 attacks on medical personnel were recorded and 39 medical emergency vehicles, including ambulances, were destroyed.

  • 21m ago
     (14:30 GMT)

    Houthis planning to seize Bab al-Mandeb Strait: Yemeni minister

    The information minister of Yemen’s internationally recognised government has warned that Iran-backed Houthi rebels are planning to seize the strategic Bab al-Mandeb Strait in the Red Sea.

    “The Houthi militia … is working to create the conditions for seizing control of the Bab al-Mandeb Strait by expanding its presence along the western coast and attempting to control strategic Yemeni islands in the Red Sea,” Moammar al-Eryani told the AFP news agency.

    Al-Eryani said there had been a military buildup by the Houthis and that their plans had been illustrated by “repeated targeting of ports, docks, civilian infrastructure, ships and government naval capabilities”.

    The Houthis currently do not control coastal areas directly on the strait, but they hold the port of Hodeidah to the north of it.

    Advertisement
  • 36m ago
     (14:15 GMT)

    Israeli strike kills women’s police chief in Gaza, reports say

    An Israeli air strike has killed Colonel Fatina al-Sahhar, the women’s police chief in Gaza, along with several other police commanders, according to Palestinian news sources.

  • 36m ago
     (14:15 GMT)

    Palestinian factions explore broad alliance for November elections

    Hamas and other Palestinian political factions opposed to the ruling Fatah government of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas are exploring the formation of a broad electoral coalition before historic polls late this year.

    Husam Badran, the national relations official for Hamas, told Al Jazeera that the movement has recently held bilateral and collective meetings with groups that include Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), the National Initiative and Democratic Reform, the Mohammed Dahlan-led breakaway Fatah faction. Dahlan and Democratic Reform have previously been firm critics of Hamas.

    Read more here.

    Senior Hamas official Khalil al-Hayya met with representatives of Palestinian factions in Cairo, where he briefed them on recent discussions with Egyptian mediators regarding a potential Gaza ceasefire. According to a statement, the factions held Israel responsible for obstructing the agreement and discussed the deteriorating situation in the West Bank and Gaza, as well as internal Palestinian reconciliation efforts. [Hamas Telegram]
    Hamas political chief Khalil al-Hayya, third from right, meets with representatives of Palestinian factions in Cairo, where Hamas said he briefed them on discussions with Egyptian mediators regarding a potential Gaza ceasefire [Handout/Hamas via Telegram]
  • 51m ago
     (14:00 GMT)

    If you’re just joining us

    Let’s bring you up to speed:

    • Ali Abdollahi, chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, has warned Gulf states against assisting the US military, saying it would be viewed as “tantamount to participation” in US attacks.
    • Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has travelled to Baghdad, seeking to strengthen a “new order in the region”.
    • An Israeli drone attack on a police post in central Gaza City has killed nine people, according to a local ambulance source.
    • Israeli forces have also carried out attacks in southern Lebanon, including one that destroyed a home in Nabatieh al-Fawqa. Near Mayfadoun, two people were killed by a “suspicious object” believed to have been left by Israeli soldiers, according to Lebanon’s National News Agency.
    • In Syria, Israeli forces have raided the town of Jubata al-Khashab and detained two people, according to Syrian state media.
  • 1h ago
     (13:45 GMT)

    Houthis say they prevented 48 Saudi oil vessels from passing and targeted 8 since July 20

    Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree says the group has imposed three “equations”: what he called a blockade in response to a blockade, strikes on Saudi military buildups wherever they are located, and the defence of Yemen’s sovereignty.

    Saree said that since announcing a ban on Saudi maritime navigation on July 20, Houthi forces had targeted eight Saudi oil vessels — five in the Red Sea and three in the Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea.

    He claimed the group had also prevented 48 Saudi oil vessels from passing and forced them to turn back, including 34 in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean and 14 in the Red Sea.

    Saree said the Houthis had carried out nine military operations targeting Yanbu, Najran, Jizan, Abha and oil supplies in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province, as well as 14 operations against what he described as Saudi military buildups in al-Ruwaik, al-Abr, al-Wadiah, Marib and al-Makha.

    He warned Saudi Arabia against further escalation, saying: “Any comprehensive escalation will be met with comprehensive escalation.”

    Saree said Riyadh’s only option was to lift the blockade, end what he called an aggression, pay salaries, withdraw foreign forces and leave Yemen’s resources to the Yemeni people.

  • 1h ago
     (13:34 GMT)

    A reminder of what happened to Hind Rajab as Israel announces investigation into her killing

    January 2024 was the high time of displacement across Gaza.

    People were fleeing in large numbers from the horror of the bombardment across the northern and central parts of the strip and were pushed south.

    A five-year-old Palestinian girl, Hind Rajab, was with her family inside a vehicle as they were making their way to the southern part of the strip when a tank blocked their way.

    Hind was trapped inside the car after the Israeli military occupied the area and fired at the car, killing six members of her family.

    Hind survived the first round of these bullets at the vehicle.

    She called the Red Crescent Society to ask for help.

    They dispatched two of their rescue workers, who arrived at the scene, but they were killed by the Israeli military as well.

    Their ambulance was later found damaged by bullets.

    Later, Hind and her family were found.

    People here who are hearing about the investigation are sceptical that it will bring any justice to Hind and her family.

  • 1h ago
     (13:30 GMT)

    ‘Brutal massacre’: Gaza’s Interior Ministry slams Israeli attack on Gaza police post 

    Gaza’s Interior Ministry has called on international mediators to act to “stop the dangerous Israeli escalation and the massacres committed against the police force,” after an Israeli attack on a Gaza City police post killed at least nine people, according to local medics.

    In a statement, the ministry accused Israel of trying to “dismantle the police force in order to spread chaos” and making baseless claims to “justify its crimes”.

    Advertisement
  • 1h ago
     (13:15 GMT)

    Ghalibaf: US seeking ‘honourable exit’ from region

    Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf says foreign powers are rapidly losing influence in what he described as a “new regional order”.

    “Dear Abu Mahdi and Haj Qassem! This is the fruit of your struggle and your blessed blood,” Ghalibaf wrote in a post on X, referring to Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and Qassem Soleimani.

    Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis was a senior commander in Iraq’s Popular Mobilisation Forces, while Qassem Soleimani headed Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Quds Force. Both were killed in a US drone attack near Baghdad airport in January 2020.

    “In the new regional order, the interference of foreign powers in relations between countries is rapidly diminishing; America is looking for an honourable exit from the region, and the Zionist regime’s project from the river to the sea has become nothing more than a pipe dream,” he said.

  • 1h ago
     (13:05 GMT)

    Israeli military claims attacks in Gaza City, Nuseirat

    Israel’s military says it carried out attacks in central Gaza’s Nuseirat area and in Gaza City’s Tuffah neighbourhood.

    In a statement, it claims both attacks targeted Hamas fighters, including commanders, and that it took steps to “mitigate harm to civilians”.

    According to a local medical source cited by our colleagues on the ground, Israel’s recent attack in Gaza City targeted a police post located in a crowded part of the city during a busy time. Nine people have been reported killed in that attack so far. One Palestinian was killed in the attack on Nuseirat.

  • 1h ago
     (13:00 GMT)

    Iranian lawmaker: Hormuz plan puts control under armed forces

    Ebrahim Rezaei, a member of Iran’s parliament, says a proposed Strait of Hormuz security plan would place the waterway’s management, monitoring and inspection exclusively under Iran and the supervision of the General Staff of the Armed Forces, according to the state broadcaster IRIB.

    He said the plan would prohibit the entry of vessels deemed hostile, involved in espionage or a threat to Iran’s national security.

    Under the proposal, the General Staff would also set rules for collecting transit fees and service charges from vessels passing through the strait.

    Rezaei added that if Iran’s interests were harmed anywhere in the world, Tehran could respond against the state it considers responsible in the Strait of Hormuz by raising tariffs or seizing assets.

  • 2h ago
     (12:45 GMT)

    Iraq asks Iran for special treatment on oil exports through Hormuz

    Iraqi Parliament Speaker Haibat al-Halbousi has called on his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, to grant Iraq special consideration over oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz, according to the Iraqi News Agency.

    Al-Halbousi said Iraq has been among the countries most affected by regional developments and urged Tehran to take into account the nature of bilateral relations “in a way that preserves Iraq’s economic interests”.

    Ghalibaf said Iran was eager to expand cooperation with Iraq, particularly in trade and economic sectors, and to follow up on agreements already signed between the two countries.

  • 2h ago
     (12:30 GMT)

    Death toll from Gaza City attack rises to 9 

    A total of nine people have now been reported killed by the Israeli drone attack in central Gaza City, according to a local ambulance source cited by our colleagues on the ground.

  • 2h ago
     (12:25 GMT)

    Deadly Gaza City drone attack hits police post

    In the past hour, a drone attack targeted a police post here in Gaza City. Six people have been killed so far, according to local paramedics. More people have been injured.

    The attack happened during a busy time in the central part of the city, near the municipality and a city park which was filled with people, including children.

    A few hours ago, another attack targeted a motorcycle in central Gaza’s Nuseirat refugee camp. One person was reported killed in that attack.

  • 2h ago
     (12:15 GMT)

    WATCH: Anti-Muslim protesters call for ‘Christian Crusade’ in Dearborn, US

    Far-right protesters clashed with police at an anti-Muslim rally in the US city of Dearborn, billed by organisers as a “Christian Crusader March”. Hundreds gathered outside a city council meeting, with several arrests reported.

    The agitators called on Donald Trump to “send ICE to Dearborn,” and said they sought to “stop the Islamification of America”.

    Watch below:

  • 2h ago
     (12:04 GMT)

    Israeli strike kills six in central Gaza City

    An Israeli drone strike in central Gaza City has killed six people and wounded others, according to a local ambulance source.

    We’ll bring you more information as we have it.

    Advertisement
  • 2h ago
     (12:00 GMT)

    Israel moving from West Bank apartheid to ‘something worse’, says Palestinian activist

    Mustafa Bargouthi, secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative, says Israel’s government, which recently announced plans to transfer civilian law enforcement in the occupied West Bank to the Israeli police, is moving towards “a system of fascism”.

    “We’ve already moved from occupation, which is illegal by the way, to apartheid, and [now] they are moving from apartheid to something worse,” Bargouthi told Al Jazeera. “With the new laws [the Israeli government] is imposing, the Israelis who live in the occupied territories illegally are subject to Israeli law, but Palestinians are subject to military law.”

    He said giving West Bank security oversight to Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who has openly said Palestinians should leave the West Bank, is an effort to frame the territory’s Indigenous Palestinian population “as illegal… as if they were immigrants from another place”.

    “We’ve moved from occupation and apartheid to a system of fascism,” said Barghouti.

  • 2h ago
     (11:58 GMT)

    Israel opens criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab, Gaza rescuers

    Israel’s military says it will open internal criminal investigations into the killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza in January 2024 and the killing of 15 emergency and aid workers in March 2025.

    The military said the decisions followed examinations by its Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism and were among rulings issued over five incidents involving Palestinian deaths.

    The Israeli military says it also reviewed the killing of seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in April 2024, but said there was “no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct” warranting a criminal investigation.

    Israel has killed more than 73,400 Palestinians in its genocidal war on the Gaza Strip since October 2023.

  • 3h ago
     (11:50 GMT)

    Two killed in southern Lebanon in explosion of suspected Israeli war remnant: Lebanese state media

    Two young men have been killed and others injured due to the explosion of a “suspicious object” near southern Lebanon’s Mayfadoun, reports Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency.

    The munition is believed to have been left by Israeli forces previously operating in the area, according to the agency.

Advertisement